Visa extension El Salvador, What to do if you get El Tunco virus?

Visa extension El Salvador: A step by step guide on how to extend your CA-4 visa in case you got infected by El Tunco virus and want to stay longer.


With our beautiful beaches, great surf, lovely people and delicious food we know it’s hard to leave our country. A lot of travelers end up staying way longer than they planned, especially in El Tunco when they got infected by this virus.

Do I need a visa to visit El Salvador?

Most of the countries don’t really need a visa when entering El Salvador. If you arrive at the airport or seaport from immigration officials you will need to buy a touristic card and pay $10.00 fee, with this card you automatically get 90 days permission to explore El Salvador and CA-A countries.

If you are traveling more often and this happened to you before, you are probably aware that after 90 days you have to leave the country because of the limited tourism visa.

We get a lot of questions from travelers which solutions there are for this (luxury ) problem. That’s the reason why we wrote this blog. We want to help you out with all your questions and doubts, and so you can enjoy more days in El Salvador!

What is CA-4 in Central America?

This is a treaty of free movements across borders between El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Honduras. This is important to know because the 90 days you get when you enter one of those countries, count for all those countries together.

So for example, if you entered the CA-4 region in Guatemala and spend there 10 days, you will have 80 days left in El Salvador. If you continue after another 10 days to Nicaragua, you will have 70 days left in this region.

So don’t think that after crossing borders you get a new 90 days, this is a big misunderstanding!

If you want to stay longer than 90 days in El Salvador or in this region, you have two options. The first option would be to fly to another country that it not a member of the CA-4 region and come back.

This way you get another 90 days just like when you arrived here.

You could go to Mexico, Costa Rica or any other country outside of the CA-4 region. Since this is not the most ideal option, there is also another easier option.


Where do I go in order to ge my CA – 4 Visa Extension in El Salvador?

You can apply for a visa extension in the capital San Salvador. This is the fastest, easiest and cheapest option. Let us explain you how to get there.

  • Option 1: Get the 102 A from El Tunco beach or nearby areas, it is a 40 minutes drive with the new road almost finished at the moment of writing this article, tell the driver to drop you off at La Ceiba church, from there take the 101 A, 101B, 101 D, 42A, 101B or any bus that goes to Salvador del Mundo plaza (a taxi would charge you no more than $5)
    Once you are there, you need to walk towards Gallerias.

    Your place is on the left hand side of the street


  • Option 2: Take a taxi from El Tunco beach which will take you directly to the place, prices would be $30 ish

In order to appy for a visa extension  El Salvador you will need the following things:

  • A filled out form (more information below)
  • Prove that you are leaving the country (a flight or bus ticket)
  • A proof of your bank account with sufficient amount of money to be able to stay in this country
  • A passport photo
  • A receipt of you hotel with the address on the receipt
  • Copies of all pages with stamps in your passport
  • $25 USD
  • A local person who could confirm your purpose of staying. This person also has to go with you to the migration office and sign the paperwork in front of the migrations officer.
  • A copy of the identification of your local friend
  • One other local contact. (Just the name and phone number is enough)
  • The most important part is the form. You can find the form online on this website:

You have to print it and fill it in. You fill in your personal details, how many more days you would like to stay and why you would like to stay. In this part you can tell them you are learning how to surf, learning Spanish, or something like that.

They give you a maximum of 90 days, but if you have your departure date before, they will give you only the days necessary. If you want to go to another country in de CA-4 you should mention that as well, that is not a problem.

The migration officer checks all the paperwork and asks you and your friend to sign the papers. Then you pay the $25. After this you have to leave your passport at the migration office. They will give you a temporary one (make sure you have a copy yourself).


A few days after you have to go back to pick up your passport and voila! You successfully extended your stay.

Enjoy our country!

And by the way…

If you are in the capital anyway to arrange the visa, you might as well visit downtown San Salvador!



Download a FREE COPY of Ruta de Las Flores Travel Guide​

Learn More About El Salvador, Subscribe Now

tunco life el salvador, learn to surf el tunco

Get it touch with us